1. Chop butternut squash in half, and using knife, thinly peel tough outer skin.
2. Scoop out seeds from squash, and dice peeled squash into small chunks for faster cooking time.
3. Add squash chunks to pot, along with entire can of coconut milk, tomato, onion, ginger and spices.
4. Use grater to add zest of lime to pot. Just the top layer, avoid the pith (white part) which will make the soup quite bitter. Save rest of lime to use juice later.
5. Add water or stock. Less liquid = thicker soup. Use your preference.
6. Bring the pot to a boil (approx. 5 – 10 minutes.)
7. Then turn down to medium heat and allow to simmer for approximately 10 minutes, or until knife easily pokes through squash chunks without effort.
8. Use a blender to make soup creamy as desired.
9. Add fresh lime juice, along with salt and pepper to taste.
10. Serve alone, as a side, or with proteins for a complete meal.