I’m absolutely honoured today to bring to you the leading expert in a major (but often ignored) women’s health issue to the podcast.
Dr. Jolene Brighten is a Functional Medicine Naturopathic Medical Doctor and the founder of Rubus Health, a women’s medicine clinic that specializes in women’s hormones. She is recognized as a leading expert in Post-Birth Control Syndrome and the long-term side effects associated with hormonal contraceptives.
Dr. Brighten is the author of Beyond the Pill, a 30 day plan to support women on birth control, help them transition off, and eliminate symptoms of post-birth control syndrome. She is a speaker, women’s health advocate and a medical advisor for one of the first data-driven apps to offer women personalized birth control recommendations.
Dr. Brighten is the person I turned to when I was struggling with regaining my period after 11 years on birth control pills, and ever since I’ve recommended her incredible work to everyone I know. She is the most passionate person on this topic that you can imagine, and this is the kind of episode that is an absolute must listen.
In fact, be prepared to take notes and listen at least twice.
We talk about:
- What is Post-Birth Control Syndrome
- What PCOS is and what it means for your body
- Why your doctor may be ignoring your symptoms and what you can do to care for your own health.
- The MANY ways the Pill can affect your body and how the symptoms may present (this is going to surprise you)
- What kinds of testing to ask your doctor to order for you
- The effects of the Pill on your fertility (this is a big question that needs to be addressed)
- How to heal your body when coming off of birth control pills
Three of the biggest takeaways I want you to get out of this episode:
- We need to respect the individual approach.
- Women’s health is very complicated.
- Medicine is intertwined, not separate.
I cannot WAIT to get my hands on a copy of Dr. Brighten’s new book Beyond the Pill, and highly recommend you grab a copy for yourself, and pick up some extras for your girlfriends while you’re at it! It’s available next week on January 29th, and you can pre-order your copy now.
FIND DR. JOLENE BRIGHTEN
Private Facebook Group: Room to Grow Podcast
Facebook: @ Emily Gough Coaching
Want to chat more and do a deeper dive into this topic and get access to live videos, exclusive guest appearances and discussions? The Room to Grow Podcast Facebook group is a judgement-free safe space to open up, and I’d love to welcome you in with the other amazing women in the group. It’s the best place to go for a little extra support. See you over there!
You can also email me at firstname.lastname@example.org, or DM me over on Instagram @emilygoughcoach with any questions, comments, or takeaways! Plus, I would absolutely love to connect with you and thank you for listening in real life. It makes me day to see you listening to the podcast and fills me up with pure joy. Seriously. See you on the ‘gram!