Today’s my birthday.
I don’t generally make a big deal about it, to be honest. I didn’t even think I was going to do a special podcast episode about it, but this has been a big year.
I quit my corporate job after 11 years. Became a full-time entrepreneur. Ended a podcast. Launched a second one on my own. Launched a brand new coaching program. Made some incredible friends. Laid all kinds of incredible plans for next year and beyond.
Though I have to tell you, this past trip around the sun has been the most challenging, painful, exciting, stressful, and significant yet.
There have been major growing pains, with the highest highs and the lowest lows. I’ve learned a LOT about myself. And I’m hoping that some of it will help you bring more joy into your own life.
- Say “thank you” more often.
- Say no to protect your energy. Say yes to things that scare you (despite the cliche, it’s damn true.)
- Stay in your own lane: don’t let the Internet rush you or make you feel less-than.
- Care for your mental health as well as you would for your physical health. It’s even more important.
- Letting go: learning to forgive quickly and release old beliefs and stories that are dragging you down.
- Celebrate the smallest everyday wins and victories.
- Female friendships matter.
- Take full responsibility for yourself and your own actions.
- Stop waiting for the right time.
- Life is going to knock you down, sometimes more often than you thought you could survive. There are two things to remember when that happens.
- Get super clear on your WHY. If you aren’t clear on where you’re going, you’ll never be able to create the map to get there.
- Figure out why you’re grateful for a situation even when it feels hard as shit to come up reason. Life is happening FOR you, not to you.
“You’re not meant to do what’s easy, you’re meant to challenge yourself.”
I gotta say, 31 has been a slice, but I’m definitely looking forward to 32. Also, 32? I seriously don’t feel my age!)
My final advice? Go eat a cupcake. Full disclosure, that’s probably what I’m doing right now! 😉
WANT TO START A PODCAST?
Looking to start your own podcast and not sure where to begin? I’ve got some resources for you to check out, including Pat Flynn’s Power Up Podcasting course, which is by FAR the best podcasting course in the business. Plus, Pat is a total pleasure to work with and is amazing to his students.
The course walks you through every single step of podcasting, from coming up with the idea, title and cover art, how many episodes to have released, throwing a launch party, keeping your listeners engaged and coming back for plus, along with monetizing your podcast.
Just in case you feel like you’re late to the game when it comes to starting a podcast because it feels like everyone is doing it….think again.
There are around 550,000 podcasts available. Compare that to over 50 MILLION YouTube channels and it really starts to put things in perspective.
Plus, as much as we all know that video is the way of the future, don’t discount audio. People can listen while they do other chores, tasks, or spend time commuting, and all the stats show that people who listen to podcasts are significantly more likely to stay tuned to most of the episode, whereas people are scrolling past your Facebook live faster than you can make them and usually only pay attention for a few seconds, if you’re lucky.
The Power Up Podcasting course is where I’ve learned how to use a podcast to build and scale my audience, my offers, and gain trust with my listeners.
Room to Grow Podcast Episodes
Want to chat more and do a deeper dive into this topic and get access to live videos, exclusive guest appearances and discussions? The Room to Grow Podcast Facebook group is a judgement-free safe space to open up, and I’d love to welcome you in with the other amazing women in the group. It’s the best place to go for a little extra support. See you over there!
You can also email me at email@example.com, or DM me over on Instagram @emilygoughcoach with any questions, comments, or takeaways! Plus, I would absolutely love to connect with you and thank you for listening in real life. It makes me day to see you listening to the podcast and fills me up with pure joy. Seriously. See you on the ‘gram!